The Migrant Resource & Response Centre
In October 2015, with support from the Norway Ministry of Justice, IOM set up a Migrant Resource and Response Centre (MRRC) in Khartoum to support the efforts of the Government of Sudan to promote safe migration, to equip migrants with information and knowledge to make informed choices, and to better address immediate medical needs of vulnerable migrants. The Centre, the first of its kind in Sudan, provides migrants with a range of services, including psycho social counseling, medical assistance, information sessions on the risks of irregular migration and assisted voluntary return and reintegration of stranded migrants from Sudan to countries of origin.
Globally, IOM has been involved in establishing and running various centres of this kind; each providing one stop assistance points for migrants in both source and host countries. Adapted to the specific national contexts, these centres take on different functions, involving a variety of actors and serving a multitude of objectives. The Khartoum MRRC enables IOM not only to continue providing immediate information and support services to vulnerable migrants and to host events and gatherings with members of migrants' communities in Khartoum, such as celebrations of the International Migrants Day; but also to further develop the concept of the MRRC in the Sudan context in view of replicating it in different parts of the country.
The MRRC currently has the following activities:
- Screening of Victims of Trafficking (VOTs) and other vulnerable migrants and referral to appropriate services
- Provision of counselling and medical assistance to VOTs and other vulnerable migrants
- Raising awareness on the risk and dangers of irregular migration and enhancing the role of community leaders in preventing irregular migration through outreach.
- Providing Assisted Voluntary Return and Reintegration (AVRR) for stranded migrants when applicable.
- Working jointly with other organizations and introducing to migrants the services available through information and referral, where applicable.
- Conducting cultural orientation sessions for refugees as part of IOM Sudan's Resettlement programme.
Migrant Stories :
- Finding Peace and a Place to Talk- the Story of a Victim of Trafficking
- From football star to begging on the streets of Khartoum
For more details about the MRRC please contact: Sudan Migration Management